Version 1.6. Readme
From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 13:46, 8 May 2010 by Horus 68
This article or section is incomplete, which means it may be lacking information. You are welcome to assist in its completion by editing it as well. If this article or section
Draft: This page shows the content for the readme.txt file to be distributed inside Joomla! 1.6 full packs
1- What is this?
- This is a Joomla! installation/upgrade file for version 1.6.x
- Joomla! Official site: http://www.joomla.org
- Joomla 1.6 version history - http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_version_history
- Detailed changes in the Changelog: http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/ ...changelog.html (needs a special link for 1.6 changelog file)
2- What is Joomla?
- Joomla it's a Content Management System (CMS).
- It's a free and OpenSource software, distributed under the GNU General Public License version 2 or later
- This is a simple and powerful web server application and it requires a server with PHP and MySQL to run it. More details here:
- See Features Overview - http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_Core_Features (as in http://www.joomla.org/core-features.html)
- Try out our online demo: http://demo.joomla.org/ (needs a new link to 1.6 demo)
3- Is Joomla for you?
- Joomla its the right solution for any content web project: http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_Is_it_for-me%3F
Part is already here http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/
4- How to Find a Joomla! Translation?
- The Translations Working Group maintains a repository of accredited language packs:
5- Learn Joomla!
- Read Getting Started with Joomla to find out the basics: http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_Getting_Started (as in http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/getting-started.html
- Before installing, read the beginners guide: http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_Beginners_Guide (as in http://docs.joomla.org/Beginners )
6- What are the limits of Joomla?
- Joomla sites can be extended in functionalities with Extensions that you can create to suite your needs.
- There are lots of ready made extensions that you can download and install.
- See the Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED): http://extensions.joomla.org
7- Is it easy to change the layout display?
- The layout its controlled by templates that you can edit.
- Joomla Template Tutorial - http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_Template_Tutorial (as in http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla!_1.5_Template_Tutorial )
- There are lots of ready made templates that you can download.
8- Ready to install Joomla?
- See minimum requirements here: http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_technical_requirements (as in http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/technical-requirements.html)
- Start your Joomla experience building your site at a local test server.
When ready it can be moved to an on-line hosting account of your choice. See the tutorial: http://docs.joomla.org/Tutorial:Joomla_Local_install
9- Updates are free!
- Always use the latest version: http://www.joomla.org/download.html
10- Where can you get support and help?
- FAQ: http://docs.joomla.org/Category:FAQ
- Find help and other users: http://www.joomla.org/about-joomla/create-and-share.html
- Joomla Resources Directory (JRD): http://resources.joomla.org/tos.html
- Feel free to post questions at our forums: http://forum.joomla.org
11- Already have a site but its not built with Joomla 1.6 ?
- Move to the 1.6 experience (Promo Tag line for 1.6 here!)
- Joomla! 1.6 Overview: http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_1.6_Overview ( as in http://www.joomla.org/announcements/release-news/4483-joomla-15-overview.html
- What are the main differences from 1.5 to 1.6? Table of contents: http://docs.joomla.org/Differences_from_Joomla_1.5_to_Joomla_1.6
- How to migrate from 1.5.x to 1.6? Tutorial: http://docs.joomla.org/Tutorial:Migrating_from_Joomla_1.5_to_Joomla_1.6
- Convert an existing Web site to Joomla - http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_Convert_an_existing_Web_site_to_a_Joomla!_Web_site
Get Involved! Joomla its a community developed software, not owned by a corporation.
- Join the Joomla community at http://www.joomla.org
Copyright (C) 2005 - 2010 Open Source Matters. All rights reserved.
GNU General Public License version 2 or later; see License at http://docs.joomla.org/Joomla_License
File ends here
- Some links are only displayed to point to similar pages already created for Joomla 1.5 until the final version of this page
- In the final version, every links to content pages should point to Joomla docs (need to create several pages)
- Links must be typed as external links to allow simple copy past when updating the readme.txt file
- Special formats will be lost when text will be pasted to a txt file.