From Joomla! Documentation
(Redirected from Component Development)
This page contains many links to selected documentation concerning Component Development for and . A good place to start is with the Intro to Component Development articles below as they provide a good introductory base of knowledge to build on.
A component is a kind of Joomla! extension. Components are the main functional units of Joomla!; they can be seen as mini-applications. An easy analogy would be that Joomla! is the operating system and the components are desktop applications. They are usually displayed in the center of the main content area of a template (depending on the template).
Most components have two main parts: an administrator part and a site part. The site part is what is used to render pages when being called during normal site operation. The administrator part provides an interface to configure and manage different aspects of the component and is accessible through the Joomla! administrator application.
Joomla! comes with a number of core components, like the content management system and contact forms.See also: Module, Plugin, Template
Intro to Component Development
There are many articles, tutorials, references and FAQs which focus on component development. If this is your first time developing a component for Joomla, you should start with the Absolute Basics of How a Component Functions. If needed, you can visualise the control flow of a component with these diagrams.
Once you have read the tutorial and/or tried the example component, you can focus more on the specifics of your component with additional articles. These are listed on the Component Development Portal or any of the supporting Portals for Development(Plugins, Modules or Templates).
List of all articles belonging to the categories "FAQ" AND "Component Development"
- Extensions GPL notices
- Extensions distribution
- Extensions name
- How can you view a live site while developing, but hide it from others?
- How do you add a PayPal button?
- How do you list your extension in the extensions site?
- Component Development/FAQs
- How to determine browser capabilities?
- How to implement XML-RPC in a component?
- Using own library in your extensions
- Adding ACL rules to your component
- Adding print pop-up functionality to a component
- Building Joomla Extensions with Apache Ant
- Creating a file uploader in your component
- Creating a toolbar for your component
- Extension Installer
- Using multiple models in an MVC component