From Joomla! Documentation
- 1 Welcome to Joomla Google Summer of Code 2018
- 2 Information For Students
- 3 Information For Mentors and Proposals
- 4 General information
- 5 Information for Mentors
- 6 Related Articles
Welcome to Joomla Google Summer of Code 2018
This page will aim to be a general informational page for students, mentors and others interested in Joomla's Google Summer of Code Program.
What is GSoC?
Google Summer of Code is a program run by Google for college students interested in getting a stipend to contribute to FOSS projects. They will spend there summer with improving and writing new features for the project. Visit the Google Summer of Code site to learn more.
- Google Summer of Code Timeline
- Github Work Flow for GSoC Students and Mentors
- GSoC Team on Joomla Volunteers Portal
Last years projects:
Information For Students
- Joomla's project idea list
- GSoC Student Selection Criteria
- GSoC Student Application Template
- Joomla GSoC Mailing List
- General Joomla CMS Developer Mailing List
- Joomla Framework Mailing List
Information For Mentors and Proposals
CMS or Framework?
Joomla developers are currently working on multiple projects: the Joomla CMS 3.x Version and 4.0.0 (2018-2019). Additionally there are many side projects related to testing, Docker, core extensions and other projects.
The CMS is the very popular and well known FOSS content management system powering currently 3.2% of the internet. The Framework existed within the CMS as a tightly coupled set of utility packages and classes. Eventually developers decided they wanted to work with just those utilities and write new applications not coupled to the CMS. The Joomla Issue Tracker is the first Application built on top of the new Joomla Framework and is currently nearing it's first stable release.
The project supports all of these initiatives, as does Google Summer of Code. On our ideas list you will find projects related.
GSoC 2018 time line is available on the GSoC Site, we suggest you to go through it GSoC-18 Timelines
Please check the GSoC Student Application Template to understand what we are expecting from your proposal.
Information for Mentors
Google Summer of Code 2017:
Google Summer of Code 2016:
- GSoC: Every Story Has An Ending. Every Ending Is A New Beginning.
- The brains behind the Joomla! GSoC projects
- Interview with one of the 2016 students Ruchiranga Wickramasinghe
- Joomla's Google Summer of Code (GSoC) is Proud to Announce Team Lead: Puneet Kala
- Joomla! has been selected as a Google Summer of Code 2016 mentor organization
- Joomla! is going to the 2016 Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit
- Articles on Joomla Community Magazine