Help310:Menus Menu Item Manager
From Joomla! Documentation
Menu Item lists the menu items contained in a menu created using Menus.
How to Access
- Click the Menu(s) button in the Control Panel
- Select Menu Items in the left sidebar.
- Select Menus → All Menu Items from the dropdown menu of the Administrator Panel.
In the table containing menu items these are the different columns as shown below. Click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more menu items. To select all menu items, check the box in the column heading.Note: Many toolbar actions can work with multiple menu items.
- Status. Published or Unpublished menu item are shown. Click on the green check mark or the red circle in the Status column to toggle between Published and Unpublished.
- Title. The name of the menu item. You can open the menu item for editing by clicking on the Title.
- Menu. Shows which menu the menu item appear in.
- Home. The yellow star icon designates which menu item is the current Home Page. Clicking on an empty Star icon will designate that menu item as the new Home Page.
- Access. The viewing Access Level for this menu item.
- Language. Menu item's language. If you are not using the multi-language feature of Joomla, default is 'All'.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this menu item assigned automatically by Joomla. It is used to identify the menu item internally, and you cannot change this number.
Above the column headers on the right, there are 2 dropdown input fields, Sort Table By: (preset to 'Ordering ascending') and a number (preset to '20') to display.
These column sorting input fields shows the current method of sorting applied to the table. Use the dropdown field choices and click the column heading name. Alternatively, click on the column heading to sort the list by that column's value.
This will also change the value in the drop field to correspond with the column header name. The list will then be sorted in order by that column and a sort icon (up or down arrow) will show next to the column name. Click a second time to reverse the sort, which will change the corresponding drop field.
- Ordering ascending (default). Shows ordering of selected column, ascending or descending.
- Number of menu items to display. Shows the number of menu items to display on one page, default is 20 menu items. If there are more menu items than this number, you can use the page navigation buttons to navigate between pages.
The List Filters are a series of controls that let you limit what menu items show in the screen. More than one filter may be entered. In this case, only menu items that meet all of the filter conditions will show on the list.
Filter by Client and by Menu
- Site/Administrator. The client where the menu item is used.
- Select Menu. A filter to select the menu you want to search.
Filter by Partial Title or ID
In the upper left is a search field and 2 buttons.
- To filter by partial title, enter part of the title and click 'Search'
- To filter by ID number, enter "id:xx", where "xx" is the ID number (for example, "id:29").
- Click 'Clear' to clear the Filter field and restore the list to its unfiltered state.
Above the column headings, there are 5 dropdown list boxes.
Filter by Status
Lets you show only menu items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Show only menu items that are Published and Unpublished.
- Trashed: Show only menu items that are Trashed. Quick Tip: Permanently delete menu items
- Unpublished: Show only menu items that are Unpublished.
- Published: Show only menu items that are Published.
- All: Show all menu items regardless of published status.
Filter by Access
Lets you show only menu items that have a specified viewing access level. The list box will show the access levels defined for your site.
- - Select Access -: Show menu items with any viewing access level.
- Public: Show only menu items with this viewing access level.
- Guest: Show only menu items with this viewing access level.
- Registered: Show only menu items with this viewing access level.
- Special: Show only menu items with this viewing access level.
- Super Users: Show only menu items with this viewing access level.
Filter by Language
Lets you show only menu items that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site.
- - Select Language -: Show menu items for any language.
- All: Show menu items set for 'All' languages.
- English (en-GB): Show menu items only for this language.
Filter by Max Levels (Menu item Level)
Lets you show only menu items at or above the specified level in the hierarchy.
- - Select Max Levels -: Show all menu items.
- 1: Show only menu items at the top level in the hierarchy (in other words, whose parent is '- No Parent -').
- 2: Show only menu items in the top and 2nd levels in the hierarchy.
- 3: Show only menu items in the top, 2nd and 3rd levels in the hierarchy.
- 4 … 8
- 9: Show only menu items in the top, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 levels in the hierarchy.
- 10: Show only menu items in 10 levels in the hierarchy.
Filter by Parent Menu Item
Lets you show only items of a menu item.
- - Select Parent Menu Item -: Show all menu items.
- [your menu item]: Show only items for this menu item.
Page Controls. When the number of menu items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below. The current page number being viewed is shaded.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top left you will see the toolbar.
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new menu item.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected menu item. If more than one menu item is selected (where applicable), only the first menu item will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Name of the menu item.
- Publish. Makes the selected menu items available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected menu items unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Check-in. Checks-in the selected menu items. Works with one or multiple menu items selected.
- Home. Makes the page associated with the currently selected menu item the home page of your site. That is, it becomes the default page on your website.
- Rebuild. Reconstructs and refreshes the relevant table. Normally, you do not need to rebuild this table. This function is provided in case the data in the table becomes corrupted.
- Batch. Batch processes the selected menu items. Works with one or multiple items selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected menu items to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed menu items can still be recovered by selecting 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter and changing the status of the menu items to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed menu items, select 'Trashed' in the 'Select Status' filter, select the menu items to be permanently deleted, then click the 'Empty Trash' toolbar icon.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters can be edited.
The Batch Process allows a change in settings for a group of selected menu items marked with a check-mark in the corresponding check-mark boxes. To use: select one or more menu items form the table of menu items being viewed and click on the 'Batch' Toolbar button. This will open a pop up window as shown below.
You can change one value or all values at one time.
How to Batch Process a group of menu items:
- Select one or more menu items on the list by selecting the desired checkbox(es).
- Click the 'Batch' Toolbar button.
- Set one or more of the following values:
- To change the Language, select the desired language from the Set Language list box.
- To change the Access Levels, select the desired new access level from the Set Access Level list box.
- To change the Menu items, select a menu or menu item (below 'menu' is used).
- To copy the menu items to a different menu, select the desired menu from the menu list box and check the Copy option.In this case, the original menu items are unchanged and the copies are assigned to the new menu and, if selected, the new language, and access level.Note: Changes you have selected from language, and access level will be applied to the copies, not the original.
- To move the menu items to a different menu, select the desired menu from the menu list box and check the Move option.In this case, the original menu items will be moved to a new menu and, if selected, be assigned the new language, and access level.
When all of the settings are entered, click on Process to perform the changes. A message "Batch process completed successfully." will show. Note: Nothing will happen if you don't have any menu item selected.
If you wish to clear your entered selections, click on the 'Cancel' button. Note: This does not uncheck the check boxes for the menu item.
- To permanently delete menu items:
- Change the status of the menu items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed menu items will show and the Empty trash button will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed menu items and click on Empty trash in the toolbar. The menu items will be permanently deleted.
- Select an item and click on the Home button to set your Home page.
- Set different filter options to only show some of the menu items.