From Joomla! Documentation
Revision as of 08:56, 29 September 2013 by Tom Hutchison
<translate> Modules are lightweight and flexible extensions used for page rendering. These modules are often “boxes” arranged around a component on a typical page. A well-known example is the login module. Modules are assigned per menu item, so you can decide to show or hide (for example) the login module depending on which page (menu item) the user is currently on. Some modules are linked to components: the “latest news” module, for example, links to the content component (com_content) and displays links to the newest content items. However, modules do not need to be linked to components; they don't even need to be linked to anything and can be just static HTML or text.
Modules are managed in the Joomla! Administrator view by the Module Manager. More information about module management can be found on the appropriate version help screens.
Joomla! Default Modules
Joomla! is packaged with many modules, more are available on the JED(Joomla! Extension Directory). Here are the standard modules available in a new Joomla! installation.
- Archived Articles → This Module shows a list of the calendar months containing Archived Articles.
- Articles - Newsflash → The Newsflash Module will display a fixed number of articles from a specific category.
- Articles - Related Articles → This Module displays other Articles that are related to the one currently being viewed....
- Articles Categories → This module displays a list of categories from one parent category.
- Articles Category → This module displays a list of articles from one or more categories.
- Banners → The Banner Module displays the active Banners from the Component.
- Breadcrumbs → This Module displays the Breadcrumbs
- Custom HTML → This Module allows you to create your own HTML Module using a WYSIWYG editor.
- Feed Display → This module allows the displaying of a syndicated feed
- Footer → This module shows the Joomla! copyright information.
- Language Switcher → This module displays a list of available Content Languages (as defined and published in...
- Latest News → This Module shows a list of the most recently published and current Articles. Some that...
- Latest Users → This module displays the latest registered users
- Login → This module displays a username and password login form. It also displays a link to...
- Menu → This module displays a menu on the frontend.
- Most Read Content → This Module shows a list of the currently published Articles which have the highest...
- Popular Tags → The Popular Tags Module displays the most commonly used tags, optionally within specific...
- Random Image → This Module displays a random image from your chosen directory.
- Search → This module will display a search box.
- Similar Tags → The Similar Tags Module displays links to other items with similar tags. The closeness...
- Smart Search Module → This is a search module for the Smart Search system.
- Statistics → The Statistics Module shows information about your server installation together with...
- Syndication Feeds → Smart Syndication Module that creates a Syndicated Feed for the page where the Module is...
- Weblinks → This modules displays Web Links from a category defined in the Weblinks component.
- Who's Online → The Who's Online Module displays the number of Anonymous Users (e.g. Guests) and...
- Wrapper → This Module shows an iframe window to specified location.