Menus Menu Item Weblink Category
From Joomla! Documentation
How To Access
To create a new List Web Links in a Category Menu Item:
- Select Menus → [name of the menu] from the drop-down menu on the back-end of your Joomla! installation (for example, Menus → Main Menu).
- Click the New Toolbar button to create a new menu item.
- Click the Menu Item Type Select button and then click the List Web Links in a Category Menu Item link under Weblinks link.
To edit an existing List Web Links in a Category Menu Item, click its Title in Menu Manager: Menu Items.
Used to show a list of Web Links in a Category. Categories are shown in a hierarchical list, parent with child (sub) categories. Depending on the selected layout options, click on a category Title to show the Web Links in that category or sub categories.
For more information please see Menu Item Manager: Details Tab
This layout requires a category selection. This is done in the list box shown above in the screenshot. All child categories of the selected category will show in the layout if sub categories are shown. Chunk4x:Help screen column header Menu Title\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Menu Item Type\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Select a Category\en
- Menu. Shows which menu the link will appear in.
Advanced Details Tab
Category Options control the appearance of the screen when you click on a category link. The following options are available.
Chunk4x:Help screen column header Category Title\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Category Description\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Category Image\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Subcategory Levels\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Empty Categories\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Subcategories Descriptions\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Number Web Links in Category\en
List Layout Options
The List Layout Options control the appearance of the category drill-down page when that is presented as a Category List. The following options are available:
- Filter Field: (Use Global/Hide/Show) Whether to show a Filter field for the list. Select Hide to hide the filer field
Chunk4x:Help screen column header Display Select\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Table Headings\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Links Description\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Number of Hits\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Pagination\en Chunk4x:Help screen column header Pagination Results\en
Module Assignments Tab
At the top left you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- Save. Saves the item and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the item and closes the current screen.
- Save & New. Saves the item and keeps the editing screen open and ready to create another item.
- Save as Copy. Saves your changes to a copy of the current item. Does not affect the current item. This toolbar icon is not shown if you are creating a new item.
- Categories can be "nested" into levels, similar to folders on a disk drive. In theory there is no absolute limit on the number of levels you can have. However, as a practical matter it is recommended to keep the levels to a minimum. The Show All Categories layout may not work correctly if the number of levels shown is greater than five.
- If you set up category titles as linkable, the user can drill down on the category. If there is a pre-existing menu item for this category (for example, a Category List menu item), then that menu item will show in the drill down and the options set for that menu item will control the page display. Otherwise, the options set for the current Show All Categories menu item will control the page display.
- You can set the option to drill down to a list in two places.
- Categories are created using Category Manager: Edit A Web Links Category.
|Related Help Screens||Description|
|Components Weblinks Categories||The Web Links Category Manager is where you can edit existing Web Links Categories and create new ones. Note that Web Links Categories are separate from other Categories, such as Categories for Articles, Banners, News Feeds, and Contacts. From this screen, you can also navigate to the Web Links Manager screen.|
|Components Weblinks Categories Edit||This is where you can add a new Web Link Category or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one Web Link Category before you can create a Web Link. Also, Web Link Categories are separate from other types of Categories, such as those for Articles, Banners, and News Feeds.|
|Components Weblinks Links||The Weblinks Manager allows you to add, edit and remove links to other web sites on your Joomla! web site, and organize them into categories. You can then display these links on your site, and optionally let visitors add new links.|
|Components Weblinks Links Edit||This is where you add a new Web Link or edit an existing one. Note that you need to create at least one Web Links Category before you can create your first Web Link.|
|Extensions Module Manager Weblinks||The Weblinks module will display weblinks from within the Weblinks component.|
|Menus Menu Item Weblink Categories||Used to show a list of all Web Link Categories. Categories are shown in a hierarchical list, as shown below. Depending on the selected options for this layout, you can click on a category Title to show the Web Links in that category.|
|Menus Menu Item Weblink Submit||Used to show a Web Link submission form in Front End (website) allowing users with permission to submit Web Links.|