Components Banners Banners
- 1 How to Access
- 2 Description
- 3 Screenshot
- 4 Column Headers
- 5 List Filters
- 6 Toolbar
- 7 Options
- 8 Toolbar Links
- 9 Quick Tips
- 10 Related Information
Components Help Screens
This screen is accessed from the back-end Joomla! administrator panel. It is used to manage banners which can be displayed on your Joomla! website.
How to Access
- Select Components → Banners → Banners from the drop-down menu of the Joomla! Administrator Panel.
- You can also select the 'Banners' menu link from the Banner Categories Manager, Banner Clients Manager or the Banner Tracks Manager.
The Banner Manager is where you can edit existing Banners and create new ones. You can also easily enable or disable banners from this screen. From this screen you can navigate to the Banner Categories Manager, Banner Clients Manager and the Banner Tracks Manager. You must add at least one Banner Client and Banner Category before you can add a Banner.
Click on the column heading on the banner manager screen to sort the list by that column's value.
- Checkbox. Check this box to select one or more items. To select all items, check the box in the column heading. After one or more boxes are checked, click a toolbar button to take an action on the selected item or items. Many toolbar actions, such as Publish and Unpublish, can work with multiple items. Others, such as Edit, only work on one item at a time. If multiple items are checked and you press Edit, the first item will be opened for editing.
- Name. The name of the Banner. You can click on the name to open the Banner for editing.
- Published. Whether the item has been published or not. You can change the Published state by clicking on the icon in this column.
- Sticky. Whether or not the Banner is "sticky". If one or more Banners in a Category are designated "sticky," they will take priority over Banners that are not sticky. For example, if two Banners in a Category are sticky and a third Banner is not sticky, the third Banner will not display if the Banner display module setting is "Sticky, Randomize" or "Sticky, Order." Only the two sticky Banners will display. If the sticky banners have a fixed number of impressions, once those impressions are used up, the sticky banners will no longer display, and the non-sticky banners will begin displaying automatically.
- Client. The Client for this Banner. Clients are entered using the Banner Client Manager.
- Category. The Category this item belongs to.
- Ordering. The order in which to display items. You can sort the list by order number by clicking on the Ordering label in the column heading. If the list is sorted by this column, you can change the order by clicking the arrows or by entering the sequential order and clicking the 'Save Order' icon. This is shown in the screen below.
- Impressions. The Impression count is the number of times the Banner has been displayed on a page. The first number in this column is the actual number of Impressions so far, and the second number is how many Impressions were purchased by the client.
- Clicks. The first number is the total number of clicks that have been made on the Banner since the counter was reset. The second number is what percentage of the time user clicked on the banner when it was displayed.
- Meta Keywords. Optional meta keywords to be used for displaying specific Banners based on the content of the Article being viewed. If the Banner module Parameter 'Search By Tag' is set to 'Yes', Banners whose Tags match the Keywords entered for each Article will display when that Article is being viewed.
- Purchase Type. The purchase type of the banner. This is used to indicate how the banner client purchased the display time for the banner - monthly, yearly, etc...
- Language. Item language.
- ID. This is a unique identification number for this item assigned automatically by Joomla!. It is used to identify the item internally, and you cannot change this number. When creating a new item, this field displays 0 until you save the new entry, at which point a new ID is assigned to it.
Filter by Partial Title
If you have a large number of items on the list, you can use this filter to find the desired item(s) quickly. Enter either all or part of the name and press 'Search' to display the matching items. You can enter in whole words or part of a word. For example, 'ooml' will match all titles with the word 'Joomla!' in them.
Filter by Published State, Client, Category, and Language
In the upper right area, above the column headings, there are four drop-down list boxes as shown below:
The selections may be combined. Only items matching all selections will display in the list.
- Filter by Published Status. Lets you show only items with the selected published status.
- - Select Status -: Shows items that are Published and Unpublished. Does not show items that are Trashed or Archived.
- Published: Shows only items that are Published.
- Unpublished: Shows only items that are Unpublished.
- Archived: Shows only items that are Archived.
- Trashed: Shows only items that are Trashed. Important Note: To permanently delete items:
- Change the status of the items to Trashed.
- Change the Status filter to Trashed. At this point the trashed items will show and an icon called "Empty trash" will show in the toolbar.
- Select the desired trashed items and click on "Empty Trash" in the toolbar. The items will be permanently deleted.
- All: Shows all items regardless of published status.
- Select Client. Use the drop-down list box to select only banners configured for the selected client.
- Filter by Category. Lets you show only items assigned to a specific category. The list box will show the categories defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Category -: Show items assigned to any category.
- <your category>: Show items assigned only to this category.
- Filter by Language. Lets you show only items that have a specific language assigned. The list box will show the languages defined for your site, similar to the example below.
- - Select Language - or All: Show items for any language.
- <your language>: Show items only for this language.
Number of Items to Display
Below the list you'll find:
- Page Controls. When the number of items is more than one page, you will see a page control bar as shown below.
- Display #: Select the number of items to show on one page.
- Start: Click to go to the first page.
- Prev: Click to go to the previous page.
- Page numbers: Click to go to the desired page.
- Next: Click to go to the next page.
- End: Click to go to the last page.
At the top right you will see the toolbar:
The functions are:
- New. Opens the editing screen to create a new banner.
- Edit. Opens the editing screen for the selected banner. If more than one banner is selected (where applicable), only the first banner will be opened. The editing screen can also be opened by clicking on the Title or Name of the banner.
- Publish. Makes the selected banners available to visitors to your website.
- Unpublish. Makes the selected banners unavailable to visitors to your website.
- Archive. Changes the status of the selected banners to indicate that they are archived. Archived banners can be moved back to the published or unpublished state by selecting "Archived" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the banners to Published or Unpublished as preferred.
- Check In. Checks-in the selected banners. Works with one or multiple banners selected.
- Trash. Changes the status of the selected banners to indicate that they are trashed. Trashed banners can still be recovered by selecting "Trashed" in the Select Status filter and changing the status of the banners to Published or Unpublished as preferred. To permanently delete trashed banners, select "Trashed" in the Select Status filter, select the banners to be permanently deleted, then click the Empty Trash toolbar icon.
- Options. Opens the Options window where settings such as default parameters or permissions can be edited.
- Help. Opens this help screen.
Click the Options button to open the Banner Manager Options window which lets you configure this component.
Buttons Common to All Tabs
- Save. Saves the banner options and stays in the current screen.
- Save & Close. Saves the banner options and closes the current screen.
- Cancel/Close. Closes the current screen and returns to the previous screen without saving any modifications you may have made.
Client Options Tab
- Purchase Type. (Unlimited/Yearly/Monthly/Weekly/Daily) This is used to indicate how the banner client purchased the display time for the banner
- Track Impressions. (Yes/No) Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is displayed.
- Track Clicks. (Yes/No) Whether or not to count how many times a Banner is clicked.
- Meta Keyword Prefix. When matching keywords (for matching Banners to Articles based on Keywords), only search for keywords with this prefix. This can improve performance.
This screen allows you to set the component permissions in Joomla. This is important to consider if you have sites with many different user categories all of whom need to have different accessibilities to the component. The screenshot below describes what you should see and the text below that describes what each permission level gives the user access to:
You work on one Group at a time by opening the slider for that group. You change the permissions in the Select New Settings drop-down list boxes. The options for each value are Inherited, Allowed, or Denied. The Calculated Setting column shows you the setting in effect. It is either Not Allowed (the default), Allowed, or Denied. Note that the Calculated Setting column is not updated until you press the Save button in the toolbar. To check that the settings are what you want, press the Save button and check the Calculated Settings column.
The default values used here are the ones set in the Global Configuration Permissions Tab
- Open the banners component option screens (the modal window these options are in)
- Access Administration Interface
- Open the banners component manger screens
- Create new banners in the component
- Delete existing banners in the component
- Edit existing banners in the component
- Edit State
- Change an banners state (Publish, Unpublish, Archive, and Trash) in the component.
There are two very important points to understand from this screen. The first is to see how the permissions can be inherited from the parent Group. The second is to see how you can control the default permissions by Group and by Action. This provides a lot of flexibility. For example, if you wanted Shop Suppliers to be able to have the ability to create an article about their product, you could just change their Create value to "Allowed". If you wanted to not allow members of Administrator group to delete objects or change their state, you would change their permissions in these columns to Inherited (or Denied). It is also important to understand that the ability to have child groups is completely optional. It allows you to save some time when setting up new groups. However, if you like, you can set up all groups to have Public as the parent and not inherit any permissions from a parent group.
At the top left, above the Filter, you will see the following four links:
- Banners. This link is disabled, since you are already in the Banners page.
- Categories. Click this link to go to the Banner Category Manager page.
- Clients. Click this link to go to the Banner Client Manager page.
- Tracks. Click this link to go to the Banner Tracks Manager page.
- You must add at least one Banner Client and Banner Category before you can add a Banner.